Ph.D., Music Composition
University of Iowa
Committee: David Gompper (chair), Lawrence Fritts, Nicole Biamonte, Stephen Swanson, Eric Forsythe.
Dissertation: Some Distance Away for solo trumpet and chamber orchestra.
Masters Degree, Music Composition
University of Massachusetts
Committee: Bruce MacCombie (chair), Bret Aarden, and Ernest May.
Thesis: Americana for brass choir and percussion.
Bachelor of Arts Degree, Music
Composition: David Gompper, Bruce MacCombie, Lawrence Fritts, Salvatore Macchia, Thomas Oboe Lee
Electronic/Electroacoustic: Scott Wyatt, Lawrence Fritts, Jean-Paul Perrotte
Trumpet: José Saloio
President and Chief Executive Officer
The Boston New Music Initiative, Inc.
Founded and have run 501(c)(3) non-profit organization since its inception in November 2009 and incorporation in April 2010. Responsible for overseeing the organization’s operation as a
whole, managing all volunteer staff, serving as ex-officio member of Board of Directors, and functioning as the point-of-contact for the organization. The organization is an international
network of composers, performers, conductors, directors, and champions of music established in order to generate new music concerts, compositions, collaborations, and commissions.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
University of Iowa
Taught aural skills/ear training, graded and assisted music theory levels I-II (2006-2007), III-IV (2007-2009).
Graduate Teaching Assistant
University of Massachusetts
2005-2006: Orchestra librarian. Graded and assisted African-American Music and Musicians class.
2004-2005: Manager of symphony band and wind ensemble
Faculty performance of The Terraces of Purgatory (2008) for soprano and piano
- “Tutti” New Music Festival, Denison University, March 2009
University of Iowa Chamber Orchestra performance of In Memoriam (2005, rev. 2008)
- Midwest Composers Symposium, University of Iowa, February 2008
Indiana University Brass Choir performance of Americana (2006)
- Midwest Composers Symposium, Indiana University, February 2008
Indiana University Contemporary Choir Ensemble performance of Angele Dei (2005)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Awarded grant from Meir Rimon Commissioning Assistance Program for commission “Sonata for Horn and Percussion” for DMA candidate Candace Thomas, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign (February 2011)
- Accepted membership into Pi Kappa Lambda (May 2009)
- Judge for National Federation of Music Clubs (NFMC) Junior Composers contest, North Central region (March 2009)
- In Memoriam recorded by Kiev Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Robert Ian Winstin. Released in Volume 15 of Masterworks of the New Era CD series by ERM Media,
Commissioned by Quinta Esencia (Boston, Mass.) ensemble
- Words of Love and Despair for flute, clarinet, and piano, February 2011
Commissioned by Candace Thomas, DMA candidate, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- “Sonata” for Horn and Percussion, March 2011
Commissioned by Shannon Rose McAuliffe, B.M., University of Massachusetts
- The Terraces of Purgatory, song cycle for soprano and piano, September 2008
Commissioned by Valentine Bialecki, B.M., University of Massachusetts
- Cantos del Mar for tuba and piano, May 2007
- Composed works for multimedia production at the University of Iowa: Beth’s Solo and Carmen. Choreographed by Analia Alegre-Femenias; Truth and Beauty video and photography by
Erin Burns. (December 2008)
- Composed incidental music for University of Iowa’s production of David’s Red-Haired Death by Sherry Kramer (October 2006)
Instrumentation: SATB vocal quartet, piano, cello, and clarinet, with acted scenes performed between movements
- World premiere performance of The Modern Orpheus oratorio by Severyn Bruyn, October 2011
Instrumentation: SATB vocal quartet and piano, with acted scenes performed between movements
- World premiere performance of A Song of Evolution oratorio by Severyn Bruyn, October 2010
Weeping Willow by Bruce Reiprich
- The Boston New Music Initiative September Concert, September 2010
Instrumentation: soprano and string quartet
Loveliness Extreme by Ingrid Stötzel
- The Boston New Music Initiative Inaugural Concert, February 2010
Instrumentation: cl, pno, vn, vc
Words of Love and Despair for flute, clarinet, and piano (6’)
- United Church of Christ, Medfield, Massachusetts, February 18, 2011 (Quinta Esencia)
Sonata for Horn and Percussion (6’)
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, April 30, 2011 (Thomas; Berg)
The Terraces of Purgatory for soprano and chamber orchestra (13’)
- Longy School of Music, November 14, 2010 (Smith, soprano; Stapleton, conductor)
Hommage for brass quintet (10’)
- Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, June 3, 2010 (Artemisia Quintet)
- University of North Texas, April 16, 2011 (Graduate Quintet)
I Am Not Yours for soprano and string quartet (12’)
- Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, February 4, 2010 (Smith, soprano; Stapleton, conductor)
Lux Aeterna for SSAATTBB choir (6’)
- University of Iowa, October 19 (Loes, conductor)
- St. Peter's Episcopal Church, April 27, 2012 (Seraphim Singers; Jennifer Lester, conductor)
The Terraces of Purgatory for soprano voice and piano (13’)
- University of Massachusetts, October 21 (McAuliffe; Bailey)
- University of Iowa, December 6 (Smith; DuHamel)
- Denison University (“Tutti” New Music Festival), March 27, 2009 (Andrews-Smith; Newcomb)
- Bay View Music Festival, July, 2009 (Smith; Patterson)
Perspective for viola solo (6’)
- University of Iowa, May 3 (Calhoun)
Cantos del Mar for tuba and piano (rev. 2010) (8’)
- University of Iowa, March 9, 2008 (Zelle; Tauscheck)
Break Point for stereophonic playback (5’)
- University of Iowa, April 15
Etude for piano (6’)
- University of Iowa, February 25 (Bungert)
Music from Timeless Suspension of Dreams, multimedia performance (60’)
“Carmen” (Alegre-Femenias, choreography) (12’)
- University of Iowa, November 29-December 1
“Beth’s Solo” (Alegre-Femenias, choreography) (5’)
“Truth and Beauty” (Burns, videography and photography) (5’)
Bella Ladrona for two guitars (6’)
- University of Iowa, December 2 (Gainey; Fischer)
Americana for brass choir and percussion (7’)
- Indiana University (Midwest Composers Symposium), February 16, 2007 (Cord, conductor)
- Burlington, Massachusetts, May 19, 2007 (Bay Colony Brass; Cadden, conductor)
Music from David's Redhaired Death (10’)
- University of Iowa, September 28-30, October 1 (Goddard, piano)
In Memoriam for symphony orchestra (rev. 2008) (6’)
- University of Iowa (Midwest Composers Symposium), February 8, 2008 (Pearce, conductor)
- Longy School of Music (Boston New Music Initiative Concert), February 25, 2012 (Lofton, conductor)
Angele Dei for SATB choir (6’)
- Indiana University (Midwest Composers Symposium), February 16, 2007
- University of Massachusetts, May 2006 (Davis, conductor)
Three Movements for piano trio (9’)
- University of Massachusetts, May 12, 2005 (Kim; Cook; Lockwood)
- University of Iowa, November 12, 2006 (Dupree; Dial; Bungert)
Conversation for woodwind quintet (5’)
- Nashua, New Hampshire, November 2005 (Movadi Wind Quintet)
- University of Massachusetts, December 10, 2005 (UMass Graduate Woodwind Quintet)
Dating Games: a musical (ca. 120’)
- Boston College, November 8-10, 2001 (Vassallo, director; Davis, musical director)
- The Boston New Music Initiative, Inc.
President and Founder, 2009-present
- Juventas New Music Ensemble
Opera Project Production Coordinator, 2009-2010
- Society of Composers, Inc.
Vice President, University of Iowa chapter, 2008-2009
Member, 2002-2005; 2008-present
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
Experience in arts administration as CEO of a large international music organization.
Active composer with frequent performances. Several collaborations involving dance and theater productions.
Fluent in ProTools, Sibelius, Finale, Peak, MIDI, Digital Performer, Cool Edit, and Audacity. Additional experience with Max/Msp and GarageBand.
Significant corporate experience (3+ years).
Available upon request.